If everybody engages in sustainable grocery shopping, we can change the system. For our vision to come true, we developed Envirofy, the first science-based web browser extension that supports online shoppers in making sustainable food decisions.
- Envirofy automatically computes the carbon footprints of foods for your, helping you in lowering your impact.
- Envirofy supports you in buying eco-friendly foods, through a range of behaviour change techniques.
- Every person counts. Every shop counts. Install Envirofy now.
The Behaviour Change Techniques investigated in this research not only support online shoppers in adapting to the climate emergency; they may also change suppliers’ behaviour. Shopping sustainably on a large scale could incentivises suppliers to produce more environmentally friendly products to improve their ratings and visibility.
In collaboration with experts in consumption ethics we are further extending Envirofy’s functionality towards fair trade, organic, and sustainably sources products. This could increase demand for more ethically produced products, positively impacting the global south. Improving production and farming impacts can in turn promote minimal impact on the environment (e.g. water usage, pesticides).
The more people install and use Envirofy, the more significant our impact. The results and insights from this research, and our close collaboration with the Food Standards Agency and the Food and Drink Federation Scotland, will inform future food production and supply chain policies in the UK.
We value transparency above all. Here you can learn who we collaborate with, what funding we receive, read up on our publications, and check out the code base.
We have an amazing team of non-academic collaborators working on Envirofy from industry and non-profit organisations.
- Food Standards Agency, Alice Rayner, Senior Social Science Research Officer;
- Nourish Scotland, Pete Ritchie, Executive Director;
- Food and Drink Federation Scotland, Cat Hay, Head of Food Policy FDF Scotland;
- Tesco, Laurence Webb, Sustainability Manager;
- WWF-UK, Liam Walsh, Sustainable Diets Manager;
- Which?, Sue Davies, Head of Consumer Protection and Food Policy;
We are always looking for opportunities to collaborate. Please do not hesitate to reach out to Gözel Shakeri to setup a quick chat.
- Mar 2021. This research received funds for a summer studentship from the School of Computing Science, University of Glasgow.
- Jan 2021. This research received funds from the EPSRC IAA account.
- Envirofy 2.0 : A Web Extension Promoting Sustainable Shopping. In University of Glasgow, 2021. Link. :
- Envirofy: Behaviour Change Wheel based Tool for Sustainable Online Grocery Shopping. In INTERACT, 2021. Link. :
- Envirofy your Shop: a real time tool to support eco-friendly food purchases online. In Climate Exp0, 2021. :
- Envirofy: a Real-time Tool to Support Eco-friendly Food Purchases Online. In CHI Workshops/Symposia, 2021. Link. :
- Envirofy your Shop: Development of a Real-time Tool to Support Eco-friendly Food Purchases Online. In CHI Late-Breaking-Work, 2021. Link. :
Our code base is open source.